Question:
685,bloody rain,Britain,The Anglo-Saxon Chronicle "accurate" of the year?
hdoiy27
2009-05-18 09:37:49 UTC
'' The Anglo-Saxon Chronicle ' can found here:
http://omacl.org/Anglo/

wrote that on the year 685 'This year
there was in Britain a bloody rain, and milk and butter were
turned to blood.'
I don't know if any one read this part of this book. be live it or not.
but i am searching about the accurate of the year that this happen.
is the book accurate in its documented years? in the original copy and the transelated one.

and please if you have any other sources or this event tell me about.
Five answers:
Tregeagle
2009-05-18 09:56:01 UTC
In 685 AD both the volcanos Vesuvius and Etna were very active. The "bloody rain" described in the Anglo-Saxon Chronicles was most likely coloured by the volcanic dust thrown into the air by the volcanic activity in the Mediterranean.

Have a look at the explanation on this site which contains details of unusual weather and climate conditions

http://www.booty.org.uk/booty.weather/climate/500_750.htm

You can read about a similar rain of volcanic ash following the eruption of Mount St Helens in 1980 at this site:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1980_eruption_of_Mount_St._Helens

Also, try reading the section on "Possible causes for the red rain" at this site: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_rain_in_Kerala You can see that coloured rain is not particularly unusual and has different causes at different times (none of which are apocalyptic warnings!).
Timothy
2009-05-19 07:12:27 UTC
I think it could easily be the volcanoes mentioned. But with all that said by her, let's look at some other possibilities.

We are dealing with a culture of Hyperbole, or heavy exaggeration and metaphor. This could mean other things. For example, many battles and wars, or particularly bloody ones. A bloody battle might make bloody seem like rain. Bloodrain then could mean something like a battle. It could also indicate deaths of leaders, sort of like blood from those above. It's a bit of a stretch, but I can see the symbolism.

The milk and butter turning to blood could mean things such as famine for cows and/or goats. I get this from the fact that both of these products come from those. It could also mean an army killed many cows, but it's more likely there was disease from either them or from the people.

These are just possibilities and could easily be wrong. The chronicle is a weird thing and often jumps into poetry at a moment's notice.
Tariq
2015-10-25 00:25:14 UTC
NO NO NO, SO, if we can say that is because of the volcanic activities so, what about the milk and the butter ??? .

in the same year, the same thing happened in Iraq and middle east according to the Islamic Chronicle . in the same year the grandson of the Islam prophet was killed. He was killed in a very tragedy story with his family. He was thirsty, strive and with only 70 persons. He was killed after a very amazing battle against Yazide army which was more then 30000 warriors.
2014-10-24 02:48:45 UTC
In Islamic history

Ibn Asaker : for David ibn Abi Hind Ibn Sirin said:

  (Did not weep at the sky after a bin Yahyabn Zakaria only on Imam Hussein Bin Ali Bin abi talib )

Mazzi: bonds from Jaafar bin Sulaiman said my aunt told me or said Salem

: Since the killing of Hussein bin Ali The sky rained as blood on the walls of houses and

  He said: I heard that he was happend at Khurasaan and Sham and Kufa

  All the rain has mentioned the bloody year 685 AD in Britain, which corresponds to the year 61 AH .. a year Martyrdom of Imam Hussein, alayhi al salam .
daisie
2016-10-06 09:37:03 UTC
Ive been right here for roughly 2 years and there is often been those questions, this is merely that there was far extra extra advantageous questions too. i could say the golden years have been a pair of few years in the past. when I first have been given to R&P it became the wonderful.