Question:
Is there a link between the stories of Sisyphus and Tantalus in Greek Mythology?
aysialaw
2006-04-04 14:51:48 UTC
Is there a link between the stories of Sisyphus and Tantalus in Greek Mythology?
Three answers:
Michelangelo
2006-04-04 15:02:57 UTC
Yes, basically they both have unusual punishments in Tartarus (hell). Sisyphus is forever fated to push a rock up a mountain only to have it roll down again. Tantalus immersed in water he cannot drink, and out of reach of luscious fruit he cannot eat. He is forever hungry and thirsty, while being tantalized. Both characters displeased the gods. Sisyphus cheated death. Tantalus served the gods parts of a dismembered corpse.
?
2016-11-12 11:47:29 UTC
Ever on account that I took Greek/Roman Mythology in college, I actually have puzzled some issues that are in the bible. The e book our type had to study develop into by Edith Hamlton. in spite of the actual shown reality that i have not had my e book with me on the prompt I do remember some information that stood out to me. between the memories in the parable e book develop into about the races. There are a particular type of races, us being the brass race (the most corrupt) I do trust. It really states that the further a lengthy time period that bypass us by, Mankind turns into extra corrupt and finally Zeus will ruin each and each and every of the residing beings for his or her disobedience. yet another tale in the mythology e book that includes suggestions is comparable to Noah's arc. The gist of the tale is: 2 human beings, a guy and women human beings were warned about Zeus having Poseidon flood the earth so that they equipped a field the position they could both out survive the typhoon. After the flood happened and each and everything develop into in smash, the field finally ends up touchdown on floor. both human beings get out of the field. at the starting up Zeus develop into indignant that both survived yet then determined to enable them stay. A voice referred to as out to them and stated something like forged aside the bones of mom earth to type new life. They did so and for this reason new life got here. the first tale jogs my memory of revelations in the bible, and the latter jogs my memory of Noah's Arc as I said above. yet what receives me is the actual shown reality that the bible develop into written after Mythology. There looks similarities in each and each and every of them which i could not brush aside, that made me trust that certain memories in the bible were taken from Mythology. i'm not the following to declare the bible to be pretend or something of the count number. i'm purely curious what different human beings's evaluations are. perchance some different person's ought to enlighten all and sundry the following?
wugga-mugga
2006-04-04 17:04:33 UTC
The punishments assigned to both of them serve to point out proper relationships between man and god. They are more or less on extream ends, one tried to best the gods, the other took trying to please them to an extream. They serve as bookends on acceptable behavior.