Question:
What happened to Joseph McCarthy's wife and daughter?
Kat
2012-12-30 19:06:28 UTC
I'm doing research on Joseph McCarthy and I've come to a dead end. There is nothing about what happened to his wife, or adopted daughter. His wife's name is Jean Kerr, and their adopted daughter is named, Tinery Elizabeth. Do any of you history people know anything, or can direct me to a website? I literally cannot find anything. It's like they don't exist after Joe died.
Ten answers:
imperialpoetpurple
2012-12-31 00:06:26 UTC
Tierney Grinavic is Joseph McCarthy's daughter; she was adopted by the McCarthy family just months before Josep McCarthy died of delerium tremens complicated by cirrohsisof the liver.

He was age 49. Jean Kerr had just married Joseph McCarthy in 1953, just as his career was at the

point of decline. In fact, he cut short their honeymoon so as to attend the US Army-related hearings.

Jean later remarried a highly successful aeronautical engineer and lawyer; she died in 1979 at the age of 55 of a stroke. So when Joe died at age 49 of alcoholism, Jean was only 26 yrs.old. So he was 45 and she was 22 when they married. Also she worked for Joe as a 'researcher' when they met and married.

I do feel a bit uncomfortable about the dynamics of the family and the prominent glaring aspects of dysfunctions that emerge. Joe McCarthy's narcissm is profound and really unquestioned ie. he was

a notorious liar and manipulater in just about every facet of his life. He forged documents, forged signatures, submitted false papers to obtain a military medal. He lied about his military service He claimed to have been wounded from ground fire while flying 34 combat missions. He never flew a single combat mission, but was confined to a desk.

He ran first as a democrat and then flip flopped and became a republican. His first win was achieved by lying about his opponent's age and claiming he was a draft dodging war profiteer... when in fact

his opponent was age 46 at the time of Pearl Harbor and was a loyal respected man...This sort of outrageous cruelty and lying was a chronic pattern. In fact, his opponent was still just barely defeated, but was totally hurt and humiliated and committed suicide. McCarthy claimed he was a traitor and age 76, when he was only about 63yrs. old. The 'profiteering' was merely a stock investment, and the irony is that Joseph McCarthy had made an even larger investment and tried to campaigne while still in the military. Joe was the 'profiteer.'

Tierney is very active in politics and tends to be very liberal - one might even say she is the opposite of Joseph McCarthy. However on one of her blogs it's claimed she supports '256' causes, and she seems to be heavily involved in animal rights causes ie. to the point of attacking Hassidic orthodox jews for being orthodox and for using live chickens ritually. Many of her causes, I would support, but I do not like the flavor of her style. It reminds me of a kind of lefty version of her father's right wing style. The claim of supporting '256' causes was a bit over the top and was reminecent of tailgunner Joe holding up a list of 256 names.

The family dynamics of narcissism and alcoholism are profound. Children - like everyone in the narcissitic personality's life are treated as objects and fuel for the ego. Jean fits the profile of being a kind of trophy wife/object. She's only 22 and he's 45. There were also many rumors that Joseph McCarthy was involved in numerous homosexual relations...and he hanged out with Joseph Kennedy and was used to build JFK's 'anticommunism' record. The young bride was good 'narcissistic fuel' ie. he was also her BOSS and was his personal researcher prior to marriage. She likely worshiped his authority and fed his ego. She witnessed him rise from being rated the 'worst Senator in Govt.' to being 'the most powerful man in Govt.' He treated anyone and everyone as an object to feed his ego. He was a bad man ie. evil and he left a trail of suicides, ruined careers and hurt feelings everywhere he went.

A couple of anomalies about Narcissistic psychopaths ie. a large percentage of them name their children after themselves. Tierney was named after his mother. A surprising number of narcissistic personalities have problems with compulsive gambling. Joseph McCarthy was said to be a professional gambler for much of his life; he preferred poker. His psychopathic narcissism was

hopelessly surrounded by a sea of booze. Not only did everything revolve around his narcissistic ego, but it was additionally fortified by booze. He grew up in a very poor family and was likely profoundly insecure and ashamed of his family. As a lawyer, he was said to be a poor lawyer in terms of competence. As a judge, there were concerns raised about his competence ie. he would briefly hear cases and rely on more competent lawyers to brief him on cases and make quick decisions, just to clear his dockett of cases ie. it was another glaring example of treating people as mere objects...

. He would fly into rages and would threaten people and was violent. I imagine his treatment of his wife was extremely poor ie. he was her BOSS and likely poor company, especially as he gulped booze all day.
nesland
2016-12-16 19:08:31 UTC
Jean Mccarthy
?
2016-10-06 09:17:20 UTC
Tierney Elizabeth Mccarthy
2012-12-30 19:34:10 UTC
After Joseph McCarthy's death she returned home to Washington DC and lived with her mother for awhile. She married G. Joseph Minetti (head of the Aeronautics Board) in 1961 and evidently lived the typical life of an executive's wife. She died in 1979.

Their daughter Tierney married and had a child. She lives somewhere in Maryland. She lives completely out of the public eye and from what I could find, rarely talks about Joe.
Brian F
2015-11-28 09:14:59 UTC
Jean Kerr-McCarthy married G. Joseph Minetti, a widower, who was part of the Washington based CAB-Civil Aviation Bureau and raised and provided for Tierney through adulthood.
Bob
2015-05-30 08:26:17 UTC
Your description of Senator Joseph McCarthy as a narcissist, liar and manipulator are disputed by "Blacklisted by History, The Untold Story of Senator Joe McCarthy and his fight against America's enemies." His charges against the employees of the U.S. State Department were never properly investigated. The Senate investigation was turned into a campaign to censure, disgrace and murder this great American. Read the book and also read, "America's Retreat from Victory, The Story of George Catlett Marshall," by Senator Joseph McCarthy. Our country was sold by our elected officials and their appointed goons of whom Marshall was one.
Patrick Hanna
2013-11-07 21:29:29 UTC
Joseph MCCarthy I believe was a fictional character played by the same actor who played Sam Walton, founder of Walmart stores. Jean Kerr is the same actress as Helen Walton. So when the Joe McCarthy character was killed off, he became Sam Walton. This may be very advanced right now, but in the next few years you will discover that many of our politicians and CEOs are played by actors. Wellaware1 dot com has more of how this works. hope this helps and didn't ruin your quest...
2016-01-01 18:42:31 UTC
He also had a child out of wedlock who was quietly put up for adoption by the women he was having an affair with.
Georgia
2014-02-18 16:10:42 UTC
http://www.scribd.com/doc/64982920/1987-Mccarthy-Ism-40-Q-amp-A

This is in reply to imperialpoetpurple.
michinoku2001
2012-12-30 19:22:13 UTC
Good question-the guy was such a booze-hound that perhaps she had already learned to live without him?