Question:
what role did joint-stock companies play in north america colonies?
kf8890
2006-03-10 13:27:47 UTC
what role did joint-stock companies play in north america colonies?
Two answers:
Mary Read
2006-03-10 19:06:49 UTC
Joint stock companies were the reason the colonies were established. These companies were set up for the sole purpose of sending settlers to the New World to make money for the shareholders. For example, Jamestown, VA was established by the Virginia Company of London- NY City was established by the Dutch West India Company- Boston was established by the Massachusetts Bay Company.

At the time, Spain was THE power in the New World, and they were making a fortune off their holdings, shipping literally boat-loads of gold back to the Spanish crown. A bunch of merchants/ aristocrats/ etc in London saw this and wanted in on the action, so they petitioned the King for a charter, giving them the right to set up a colony in the New world for the express purpose of making money for the shareholders in the venture. For the most part, these joint-stock companies were wildly successful (a 60% return on investment was seen as a "poor" return).
zeebaneighba
2006-03-10 18:33:01 UTC
Gee I hope you get all your questions answered before your homework is due. I'd hate for you to have to actually work or anything.