Question:
do you think the long sword is probably the best sword of all time?
2012-05-31 11:23:19 UTC
im a european historical - medieval enthusiast beginner in the uk, my areas are - medieval folklore, knights, military figures, and many other topics...im also a studier of the renaissance era to......my favourite historical figures are cromwell, and chistopher columbus.

here i discuss swords of the medieval, do you believe as i do, that the long sword was one of the most best, effective fighting swords?

why , why not ?

thanks
Seven answers:
Placebo
2012-05-31 12:17:14 UTC
@ the person who as what's to know what he meant...

A longsword is a bastard sword, basically a hand and a half on the hilt. A claymore is a two handed sword used by Scottish clansmen. A typical example of a Bastard Sword would be the ones wielded by "Vikings". A good example of a claymore would be the one Aragorn using in the LOTR.

As it stand I would agree with you, a well balanced bastard sword had its all. Swift compared to the Great Sword. It had a good reach compared to a Arming Sword. And all this at a reasonable weight.

However to expand on your question as you are asking for the most effective fighting sword then my answer would be the Xiphos. It was not until the Gladius comes along that the general design changes. So we are talking an design that lasted over a 600 years.
sandberg
2016-12-04 09:07:36 UTC
Katana ability long sword... there are various varieties of long swords... an prolonged sword become no longer continuously as razor sharp as a Katana b/c if it had the hardened part going againt plate or a look after, the sting would not delay. the incredibly some long swords, wide swords, a million.5 hand a million/2 swords had an part and with adequate tension could desire to cut back. so some distance as mythbusters announcing a katana can cut back in the time of the swords indexed.. no, that may no longer actual fullyyt the wear and tear to the blade slicing isn't solid the two. the call become busted... did no longer ensue, no longer taking place. The rapier become bent and snapped. no longer a cut back by way of. The rapier is a piercing weapon besides. standard fantasy promoted by using some persons generally at Renfairs and such. As indexed above the purpose of the Katana become a cut back and draw in the time of delicate objectives, a helmet and armor isn't those fashionable objectives. A medieval sword may well be a can opener, a slicing weapon, or a blunt weapon of destruction. If i become battling... properly if we had finished armor, the long sword from medieval cases, if no armor, then using in undemanding terms the suggestions indexed above a a million (to 2) handed Katana (long sword). The D&D reference become useful. solid interest :)
weirdo
2012-05-31 13:17:17 UTC
You say that a broadsword would snap a katana, and you would be wrong. A katana is (traditionally) tempered with overlays of steel on steel just so that it would never break. There is a reason why it would cost so much money just to keep. Besides, the long sword is the sword you are talking about. That sword would definitely not break a katana. Besides, you make the assumption that people have no skill with swords. Arrogance is just as big a killer as the sword.

Anyways, I would still go with gladius and scutum any day.
2012-05-31 11:34:58 UTC
Over in Japan in MediƦval times they were working on perfecting the Katana. The ultimate sword, originally from the late 14th Century. I would suggest this is quite possibly the best sword of all time. It takes strength, agility and much more skill than a long sword but an adept practitioner would have killed the long sword wielder before they'd even managed a single swing.
Penelope
2012-05-31 11:28:14 UTC
If by 'long sword' you mean a Claymore, or two-fisted broadsword, then I would have to disagree. In order to use it, you would have to have pretty good upper-body strength, and be willing to give up on any hope of using a shield or buckler while wielding the sword.
2012-05-31 11:32:41 UTC
The later "Colichermarde" was a far more easy weapon to wield.

Personally, I prefer the Japanese Katana - I'll use mine in preference to any of my old Cavalry Sabres or broad-swords.
Athena
2012-05-31 11:28:21 UTC
Depends.

In crowded battle it is not a good weapon, but in one to one combat it has its advantages.

Also, it takes a lot of training to develop good skill with such a weapon.

You need a standing army and that gets expensive.

It does keep you enemy at bay, but only for the first swing. After that your flank is exposed.