Question:
Did Denny's really used to be called Sambo's?
Daisy
2009-12-03 22:19:51 UTC
First of all I'd like to say I'm not sure why the name Sambo is offensive...as in the book, why they aren't aloud to print it or whatever. My grandma has and original version of it, and it's a cute story about a boy in a nice outfit who outsmarts a bunch of tigers. Whats offensive about it?
Anyways I was talking about the book to my Dad and he told me Denny's used to be called Sambo's but they had to change their name because it was racist. How is it racist? I don't get it! Whenever I ask someone what it means I get a lot of well and ummms but noone ever gives me a straight answer. Does it really even have a meaning?
Ten answers:
special fred
2009-12-04 02:08:24 UTC
I remember Sambo. Sambo, from the story, was a little INDIAN boy (from India, not native american)

who was chased by a tiger and Sambo ran around a rock, around and around with the tiger right behind him. Mysteriously, this did nothing to Sambo but operated on the tiger on a genetic molecular level. The tiger underwent metamorphisis and became 600 Kg of cow's butter.

Sambo used the butter on his pancakes.

There was such a story on the menu, I believe and the flap was that Sambo was called "Little Black Sambo". This sounded too much like african-americans, even though Sambo was from Bhurain (India's name for their country), and so it was labeled racist.
Stephen
2015-07-09 08:36:38 UTC
It seams that if a black persons complains enough things will happen. Don't get me wrong I grew up in the early fifties But I never agreed with the way they were treated but that would also go for any other race to not just blacks' I remember when The restaurant Sambo's had to change there name are close because it was a fending black males. So I guess being a white male have the wright to ask that any product that has are refers to the word "Cracker " have a name change are remove it from the shelf. This would bet be any different then the flag, Sambo's are even using the N word except that it is a white person and nothing would ever be done to change anything. This is the problem I have with the flag and all the other things that have changed.
?
2016-10-02 16:13:43 UTC
Sambo Restaurant
Muinghan Life During Wartime
2009-12-03 22:32:54 UTC
OMG, I remember Sambos.

But Denny's and Sambos was NOT the same company.

Denny's was founded under the name Danny's Donuts in 1953 by Richard Jezak and Harold Butler in Lakewood, California. They expanded to 20 restaurants by 1959, when he renamed the chain to Denny's to avoid confusion with another chain "Doughnut Dan's".

The word "Sambo" itself was USED in a derogatory manner meant to humiliate people.

Sambo's was formerly a restaurant chain, started in 1957 by Sam Battistone and Newell Bohnett.

Though the name was taken from portions of the names of its founders, the chain soon found itself associated with The Story of Little Black Sambo.

In the late-1970s, controversy over the chain's name drew protests and lawsuits in communities that viewed the term Sambo as pejorative towards African-Americans, particularly in the Northeastern states.

By November 1981, the company filed for bankruptcy.

Many of the closed Sambo's buildings are still standing, and they are being used as restaurants. Denny's acquired some of them, as their operation is nearly identical to Sambo's. An original Sambo's building is distinguished from a Denny's building in that a Sambo's is square-shaped with a mansard roof-line, while a Denny's building has a peaked-roof.
Elder Dre
2016-11-26 14:04:43 UTC
By November 1981, the company filed for bankruptcy. Neither the name change nor bankruptcy protection reversed the downward trend, and in 1982 all but the original Sambo s at 216 West Cabrillo Boulevard in Santa Barbara, California, closed their doors. By February 1983, 618 of the locations were renamed Season s Friendly Eating. Several locations were sold to Denny s, including the Fort Lauderdale store. Bakers Square s parent company acquired Sambo s in California in October 1984. Many Sambo s locations were converted to Bakers Square restaurants and the ones that weren t were sold to other chains, including Denny s.

Sam Battistone, Jr. is also the original owner of the New Orleans Jazz in the NBA. He later moved the team to Utah and sold it. Battistone s grandson, restaurateur Chad Stevens, owns the only remaining Sambo s.
Matthew
2015-09-17 13:13:56 UTC
I was about 9 or 10 we were traveling through Flag Staff we were listening to a Genisis song "Their must be some misunderstanding" and we ate at Sambo's. We thought nothing of it. I remember the mascot, a funny navy looking guy with rainbow looking colors. The food sucked. funny Denny's is still notorious for putting black people in the back close to the kitchen, why I am an avid supporter of self seating! I don't like escorts! white or black they are very discriminate!
Kindra
2015-08-20 23:44:40 UTC
This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Rose Rollins
2015-12-07 10:49:43 UTC
NO!! BUT THEY DID BUY SOME OF THE BUILDINGS OWNED BY SAMBO'S I HAVE NOT NOR EVER EAT AT A PLACE CALLED SAMBO'S MAYBE IF THE OWNERS HAD CHANGED NAME TO SAM & BO'S THERE MAY NOT HAVE BEEN A PROBLEM!! YES PEOPLE WHAT YOU CALL YOUR BUSINESS IS YOUR OWN BUSINESS, BUT HOW LONG WILL THAT BUSINESS LAST?
jeff
2016-11-30 19:36:07 UTC
I remember Sambos as a child. I LOVED sitting at the counter looking up at the bright backlit illustrations of the story of sambo... I recall the food being great and the place always full of people.... then white guilt SJW liberal ********* decided to fix the great ill that was LITTLE BLACK SAMBOS on behalf of people who didn t give a **** until they were told they were being insulted...and then HEY, nobody bothered to stop a second and realize you can be BLACK and NOT from Africa.... too little too late, hundreds of people lost their jobs as waiters ets and a good company was railroaded into liberal capitulation and liquidation ( some became Dennys most are now Bakers Square ).....

Be that as it may, its still crap. and I for one feel ROBBED of the experience of taking my children to a place that I hold so dearly in my memories
2009-12-03 22:43:27 UTC
the book it self was not racist or meant to be. and i do remember sambos restruants. they had picturess of the story on the walls. it was cute but back then blacks weallowed even alowed in the restruants. and some bigots used the name sambo to address black people. they made something neat and intelligent into somethiraciesty and racest. it is a pity. the first time i saw the book was when a friend asked me to read it to her children to keep them entertained while she did some chores. she was black and really liked the book.